February 10, 2008

Mardi Gras 2008: Spanish Town Parade

I realize that the above picture may shock and appall many viewers, but it needs to be said that dressing in drag is the norm around Mardi Gras time! And for any other party-type situation in Louisiana, for that matter. Had Andy's arms not been too big for the arm holes, he totally would have worn this dress and wig and would have looked HOT doing so!
SO, the Spanish Town parade is a crazy little parade here in Baton Rouge the Saturday before Fat Tuesday. It always has a different overall theme, but the yearly residing theme for Spanish Town is PINK and FLAMINGOS! A month or so before the parade, very large pink wooden flamingos are put into the LSU lakes and stay there until they are either stolen or collapse in the shallow water. I am never sure which it is. But it's a sign of fun to come!
Joined by Melissa and Joe (Melissa is donning my pink pants which I will probably never wear again because she looked so damn good in them), we headed downtown with giant daquaries and bloody marys (and coffee for me) for the festivities! Joe's hat came from the Southdowns parade the night before. There was a whole Spanish Town float wearing those things! They're all the rage.

Before, during and after the parade, there was lots of dancing and booty shakin' going down.




Courtney joined us before the parade started and we all proceeded to look fabulous.





Of course, there was the ever present group who immediately sent us all straight to hell. These guys were actually not nearly as bad as in past years.

Here are some float riders enjoying their power trip of riding the floats!

This is my official 2008 Mardi Gras Mullett picture, complete with mustache and long cigarette. The pink shirt really compliments his tanned/leathered complexion, don't you think?

Andy shows us how to break it down.As does the bead whore who stood in front of us through the whole parade. I've said it before and I'll said it again: She is NOT hot, and we do not need to see her "get low".


Now THESE girls..I have to say, I had costume envy. The roller derby girls rocked the pink that day AND they looked hot!

After the parade ended, we went to some house parties and saw old friends we never get to see. Case in point, Ioanna!
Disclaimer: After having seen these pictures of myself in my Mardi Gras glasses, I have detemined that they make me look mildly retarded and they have been retired.


Colleen and Courtney
Colleen and Ioanna

Andy had a bottle of some gross burbon of which Joe partook a sip or two. Literally, he was just sipping from his bead shot glass.




Andy knows how to break it down. Anytime. Anywhere. And he's generous with his cheap liquor.

YAY SPANISH TOWN PARADE 2008!!! Aren't we cute? I think this is a framer.