February 16, 2008

Mardi Gras 2008: Fat Tuesday

On Mardi Gras day (February 5, 2008), our ever-willing companions, Melissa and Joe, joined Andy and me for a day trip to New Orleans! We were all beat from our big weekend preceeding and I wondered how I ever was able to party as much as I used to. Kate the big party woman is no more.

The cutest couple in the WORLD
And now, for something that disturbs me. Look closely.

Zulu

So, when we finally found a parking spot Uptown, we headed for St. Charles and got a good spot in a crossing over the trolley line. One of our first sightings was NOLA's finest. And no, these guys were NOT in costume.

We called the guy on the left Officer McLovin

Lots of people were out and about making statements about this and that pre-Rex parade. Here we have the "Bobby Jindal's going to Outsource Everything Because he is Indian" people (also seen at Spanish Town). Bobby Jindal is our newly elected Govenor.


Red Beans and Rice


Parsley, Sage, Rosmary and Thyme


Finally, Rex began and lo and behold, who was there but the GOLDEN BAND from TIGER LAND! WOOT WOOT! The Tiger Band ROCKS everyone's world. I never knew a marching band to be so well loved, respected and honored until I attended LSU. They are GOOD.

Rex is the King of Mardi Gras and all the floats are very decadent. The guys throwing beads are creepy looking and often creepy acting. I also think they're racist, but I won't get into that.

I think that the 2008 Pig Fest theme should be taken from one of the Rex floats. Make it something like this picture below, except a pig. It would be a very grand Pig Fest theme!


Here are some more spectators. Disturbed by Andy in a dress? Well, check THIS guy out! HOT! This is only the tip of the iceburg. The great costumes really come out for the Mardi Gras!


Also marching in the Rex parade was the Tulane Marching Band. This is for you, Claire! I can't make my camera select certain colors, but I can make my Picassa program do it! Go Green Wave!

All of the tractors pulling the Rex floats were fueled by biodiesel.

So, one of the floats for Rex broke down at some point and we decided to take a stroll down to where a friend of Melissa and Joe's was watching the parades. We didn't realize at the time that it would be a really long walk, so we made it about three blocks and then turned around and went to get a margarita instead.

At some point inbetween struggling to get the attention of the bartender to get us a margarita and resting our weary feet in Superior Grill, Rex ended and the Truck Parade began! The Truck Parade is more of a parade for the commoners! I don't think that it costs a ton of money to participate like it does in parades such as Rex, and the people really seem to have a good time. All the floats are pulled by semi's.
Here's Melissa trying to instruct me on how to get beads. She's way more agressive when it comes to getting good beads than I, and it produces good results without her ever having to do anything inappropriate! Melissa is the Bead Master!
These guys were stopped in front of us for a while and they were hilarious! Melissa got some good beads from them. They had their cute kids in the float too, all strapped into their car seats which were attached to the float!


Joe models one of Melissa's good gets: The PEPPER BEADS! All she had to do was scream, "CHILLI PEPPERS!!!!!" about a thousand times, and whalah!


We all got hungry and left to get pizza from Rocky's before the Truck Parade was over, but I think it was a successful Mardi Gras overall! AND it didn't rain like it was supposed to!


HAPPY MARDI GRAS, EVERYONE!