October 16, 2010

What do Botanical Gardens and Battlefields have in common?

In this case, they were both really beautiful. Now, a Civil War battlefield in time of battle would probably be a little more gory and bloody than now, but we'll just think about how beautiful it is today.

A couple weekends ago, Cora and I went on a Saturday afternoon to the Meadowlark Botanical Garden with our friends Joey and Ali, and their kids, Jack and Abby. Abby is just about two months younger than Cora! Andy had to work, so he missed out on all the fun.



I put on my child and my least effective sunglasses for the occasion. The gardens were beautiful and there was much more to it than we were able to see, but oh well. We can always go back! One of the highlights was our totally interfering in this couple's engagement photos. The photographer said that we didn't have to move, but I could tell that the bride-to-be wasn't feeling it. However, Ali and I just plopped right on down and fed our babies all up in their engagement photos anyway. I'm sure the photographer was able to avoid us somehow...


Ali and Joey chase after Jack who is somewhere....somewhere at the botanical garden..

The next day, since Andy had been at work the day before we planned a big day. We had been wanting to go to Manassas to the battlefield for a while, so we decided that we'd do the 5 mile loop and make a day of it. I tell you, that was a long freakin five miles! And the maps they give you there?? HAH! Worst. Maps. Ever. We got so turned around..I don't even want to talk about it. BUT it was a beautiful day, so there was that.
Cora got to pose with her first cannon.
Some reenacting was going down.
There were two really old houses. This one and the "stone house".


I fake smiled for the camera. Andy never gets pictures of me when I WANT him to take pictures of me.


In addition to a stone house, there was also a stone bridge.
And one very hairy dog. Can you imagine the dingle-berries on this beast?!?!


Oh, beautiful for spacious skies, and amber waves of grain...

And our final view of the battlefield was this. A huge statue of Stonewall Jackson with muscles of inhuman proportions.