Ah, Christmas is over. No more annoying Christmas music for another year. Or at least another 9 months. Sigh.
This year, we spent Christmas in Tallulah with the Carpenters and a Weatherhead! It was great, of course and, as usual, I didn't want to leave. I get homesick.
We arrived Christmas Eve Eve and decorated the tree. It was beautiful, of course!
Christmas Eve: There was much last minute present wrapping, eating, drinking, playing with dogs, eating more, threatening each other with kitchen knives...You know, the usual Christmas Eve goings on. Then, we put on our Christmas Eve finest and went to church. And I have to say, it was the most disappointing Christmas Eve service I have ever attended (and I haven't attended many.) The music was NOT what it was built up to be and the service, which lasted WAY longer than it should have because they insisted on chanting 95% of it, was so extremely morose! What happened to Christmas being a joyous season, all you Christian folk?!?!? That service definitely did not convince me that going to church on a regular basis is happening anytime in my future.
But I digress...
So, the big event for Christmas Day was the unveiling of the sex of our child! Originally, we wanted the radiology technician to write down the sex on the card in this envelope so we could open it up on Christmas morning. She informed us that there is a liability to doing this and so she couldn't write it down. Instead, she said she'd print out a picture of one of the ultrasounds and we'd be able to tell what it was from that. I thought to myself, "YEAH RIGHT!" and expressed very clearly to her that I am not confident in my ultrasound-interpreting skills. I have many mad skills, but ultrasound-interpretation is not one of them.
We opened the envelope, and the first thing I saw was some blob or something. I could not on my life tell you what I was looking at. Neither could Andy. I felt a rush of disappointment until, glancing at the ultrasound picture again, we saw the words "I'm a girl!!" typed onto the bottom of the picture. THANK YOU ULTRASOUND TECHNICIAN LADY!!!! THANK YOU!
I think we got through to her.
(PS, Ultrasound Technician Lady, if you were wrong and the baby turns out to be a boy, we won't sue you. Our boy will just be wearing some kinda girly looking clothes for the first few months of his life. Can infants be gender confused?)
From there, we went on to open more presents, some of which I have highlighted in this blog because they were awesome.
#1 Trogdor: The Burninator Onesie from Will and Hope
#2 LSU stuff and a hand-painted fleur de lis onesie from The Baustians
#3 TOO CUTE appliquéd onesies from Aunt Claire
#4 Dad got an awesome hat from Ireland courtesy of Linda and Parker
(He was stylin.)
#5 Moose and Lucy got an awesome alligator Kong type thing from their Dog Grandparents
(They have since torn one side of the alligator's back spikes off, but nothing more.)
My plate featured: cranberries, roast, mashed potatoes, string beans and yorkshire pudding.
You can eat as much yorkshire pudding as you want because it's not at all fattening or made of butter and roast drippings.
Then, we had yummy pecan pie for desert!
All of that eating we did required good long walks with dogs.
Said dogs did a lot of grazing. That grass was the good stuff. Lucy picked it out for them all. She is a grass connoisseur.
On our last night in Tallulah, Mike and Debbie came over for post-Christmas feasting. Here we have Dad embarrassed over being busted having sold someone some not-so-quality firewood. I'll leave it at that.
(Our grocery firewood won't burn, so we think it's retribution for my dad's transgressions.)
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, no matter what you celebrated, if you celebrated anything! The most important part to me is being with family, which is what we did (even though the WHOLE family couldn't be there.) Some day!!