June 22, 2009

A Trip to Lake Lure, NC

Back in umm May? we went with the Mortons and the Shores for a fun weekend in Lake Lure, NC! I'm just now blogging about it because I just haven't been keeping up with my blogging like I should. I know my millions (one) of fans (fan) are disappointed in me. I will try and make it up to you somehow.

Anyway, Lake Lure is where Dirty Dancing was filmed! I don't know if there is anything else of any great significance there. Chimney Rock is there too, so I guess that is of some significance. Here's the standard local's car/truck at Lake Lure.

We arrived safely at the lake house after having gone to the very wrong place at the back of a retirement community ending up in someone's front yard. I was afraid that I might throw up on all the twists and turns, but everyone in the car got lucky and I didn't. Jane and I got down to business and made mojitos. These are my good friend, Melissa's, delicious cranberry mojitos which I highly recommend. Mmmmm!
Jane and I quickly claimed the most awesome coozies in the house - the fish mouth coozies. Who can resist putting their drink in a big fish mouth? I know I can't.


The lake house we rented was in a quiet cove right off of the main part of the lake. It was huge and beautiful!! We spent the vast majority of our time out on this deck, or on the lower part you can't see in the picture. Or in the water. I guess we spent most of the time in the water. They had these awesome floating chairs....

A view of the grand lake house. It's got four bedrooms, a big kitchen, a screened porch on the top level, another porch on the lower level, and lots and lots of stairs. There were some really huge places around us, and some smaller ones. They all sell for millions of dollars, which is totally ridiculous. This place rented for a very reasonable price, though! Especially for what you got!
The first evening, we took the party down to the deck and clowned around. At least, Jeff and I did. This was post-prom picture.
I suppose I could take a prom picture with my husband as well...
Anne-Marie and Jane hadn't seen each other in quite a while, so it was a fun reunion!
The owner came by and unlocked a kayak, a canoe and the awesome floating chairs for us. Andy and I totally want a kayak, or two kayaks, now.


Here are the floating chairs in all their glory. I think we kind of flattened them out trying to lie on our stomachs some of the time..You've got to have an even tan, though!!
Across the cove from us was this massive house which had its very own light house. A bit ridiculous, you say? You would be correct. We got a kick out of that the first night we were there, and Andy found that it was still on when he got up one of the nights at 3am! Holy waste of electricity!
We saw big hills/small mountains...
And chateaus....
And beautiful lakeside sunsets!!


It was a happy visit and we were sad to leave! Luckily, when we left we all went to the same restaurant, so we weren't split up yet!
In "downtown" Lake Lure, they have Lake Lure beach!
We stopped at some faux-Italian type place to eat and Andy and Jeff ogled this awesome little car which they were both scared to stand directly next to.
I ogled the wine snob's car.

Here's where they filmed Dirty Dancing!

Once we finally left Lake Lure, we realize how extremely close Spartanburg (and Wofford) were so we stopped by for a visit! Jane and Jeff had not seen the college's most recent improvements, and Andy's always excited to go to Wofford for any reason! Coincidentally, while we were there, Jane ran into her mentor who I think she had seen a week or so before, who was there with his mentor!

We visited the newly updated and very nice Old Main....
And of course, the Pike House. Ahhh, the memories. Well, not for me but for the other three.
Sorry it took so long to blog about this, but there, finally, you have it!