June 29, 2008

Wandering Around London

After our exciting adventure-filled day of walking in the countryside, Andy and I decided to "take it easy"and have a low-key (comparatively speaking) day. We went into the city and started our day at St. Paul's Cathedral. It was a grand place which cost more than we cared to pay to go into, so we stuck with the outside of it.



It was big!
There were tons of people hanging out on the stairs out front. Maybe they thought it cost too much for entry too.

After deciding that we were too cheap to enter the Cathedral, Andy and I took a walk around the back where there was a very pretty garden. Lots of people seem to take breaks there during their work day. It would definitely be a good place to relax!


From there, we went on our main mission of the day: to find City Temple. According to the City Temple website, " It was one of the earliest Nonconformist churches in London, choosing to worship God according to the Bible instead of following the Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England. Today City Temple is the only Free Church still worshipping in its own building every Sunday in the City of London, associated with the United Reformed Church denomination......CT has had a succession of famous ministers, from the Puritan Thomas Goodwin, chaplain to Oliver Cromwell, to the great Victorian preacher, Joseph Parker, and Leslie Weatherhead who led the church from 1936-1960....City Temple was built on Holborn Viaduct in 1874 and developed as a classic city-centre 'preaching station'. It's grand design, layout and worship epitomised the metropolitan 'gathered church' model. This model thrived even after the Second World War, when the church was rebuilt and opened for worship in 1958, after having suffered bomb damage, and the 900-seat sanctuary was regularly filled to overflowing."
Leslie Weatherhead was our great-grandfather, father of Arthur Dixon Weatherhead (Dickie), our beloved Grandpa. He rebuilt City Temple after the Second World War and was very interested in psychiatry and religion, if I'm not mistaken. He wrote several books, which Andy found are available at the LSU library and he even has a page on Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Weatherhead

I was really proud to be able to go and see Grandpa's father's church and really realize all the work he did. I even got to tell the receptionist at the church that I was his great-grand daughter!






After spending some time wandering through City Temple, we continued our wanders elsewhere and saw this map. As well as having a famous great-grandfather in London, my father also has a street named after him! I have a fabulously famous family in London!



We walked down to the Thames to cross some bridges. The light poles on the river were really cool, I thought.
As were the Rubbish Eaters that are placed up and down the river. I don't know how they work, but somehow these things collect "rubbish" from the river to help keep it clean! Very cool!
We crossed the Thames on the Millennium Bridge, a pedestrian-only steel suspension bridge, which opened in 2000. Looking one way from it, you can see St. Paul's Cathedral, and the other way you see the Tate Modern museum.


On the other side of the Thames, we encountered Shakespeare's Globe Theatre which is near the original Globe Theatre, built in 1599 (I love Wikipedia). It also cost more than we wanted to pay to enter, so we wandered around it a bit and moved on. Do you see a theme here?


At some point, we passed "The Clink", a notorious medieval prison. The phrase "in the clink" came from this place!
Just past The Clink, we encountered a giant telescope! I, being the observant person I am, knew exactly what this was. On one of our first days in London, we were watching the BBC news and I saw this giant telescope. People can peer into one end and see people on the other end in New York. I'm guessing that it's a video feed, really, but it's a cool idea! SO, when the BBC news lady went up to the telescope to write the New Yorkers a message, she said something like "Hello from London! Do you like the BBC?" The New Yorkers return message was, "Only the comedies." HAHAHAHA!!! The BBC woman, who was on air at the time, had a sour look on her face and said to the camera, "Touche."

From the giant telescope, we wandered on along the Thames towards the Tower Bridge. Here's Andy posing with the lovely Tower of London in the background..I think.
Then I posed with the lovely Tower Bridge! It was a gloriously pleasant day, as you can see.
We crossed the Tower Bridge and walked past the Tower of London, which Claire refused to go to - the only thing she refused to do our entire trip - and decided it was time to call it a day and look for the nearest tube stop. Luckily, there's one right by the Tower of London!

Another fun day come and gone!