On Friday, Dad and Mom drove into town from Tallulah and Shug flew in from Cleveland. Dad and Mom brought along Buster, their grand dog, and my nephew dog. Buster is good buds with Moose and Lucy, and the yard was sufficiently Buster-proofed, so there was no great escape!
Buster testing his luck with the fence.
Saturday morning, we got up bright and early (if you call 9am early) and got a nice breakfast at Zeeland St. Market. Then, it was down to business! We were on a mission. First, the mission was going to be to get a Christmas Tree. Then, after Mom viewed the thread-bare grossness of our old rug in the living room, a second mission was put to task. Mom decided that she would buy us a new rug for Christmas! This is a major big deal, becuase Andy and I have had nothing but hand-me-down furniture since we started college. A new rug is a sign of changing times!
So off we drove to the Rug Store and Rug Universe to check out the rugs. I've discovered that I do not like new contemporary styles of rugs. I like the oriental style. Andy likes the new contemporary funky styles. Guess which kind we went with? I have also discovered that rugs do not give me "warm fuzzies". The sales woman at the second rug store we visited was quite irritating and kept asking me if the rug gave me "warm fuzzies". I informed her that rugs don't really give me warm fuzzies, and possibly sensing my irritation, she replied in her squeaky voice, "Oh, I have been working here too long!" Gag me.
After picking a rug which Andy and I both liked and produced no warm fuzzies in either of us, it was off to Lowes for Christmas Tree shopping! Shug was our official tree holder/spinner, and I must say, she's got skills. After viewing various trees, we decided on one that suited our fancy and trotted off to stand in line. Sadly, I was overwhelmed by the whole rug experience and had temporarily lost my interest in taking pictures of the tree-picking. BUT, my interest perked back up after purchasing the tree when Andy and Dad decided to tie it to the Yukon. Dad is an expert on such things as tying Christmas trees to the tops of cars, so he was a good teacher for Andy. By the way, this is Andy's and my first Christmas tree together! Mom and Dad brought some old decorations for us (including some Granny, our great-grandmother made!) and lights (including the fabulous bubble lights!)
Dad and Andy tying the Christmas tree to the Yukon.They got skill too.
Shug, Dad and Mom up close and personal with "The Rug"
Basking in "The Rug's" gloryFinally, the tree was put up and we were all thoroughly exhausted. Ok, I can't speak for everyone. I was thoroughly exhausted and needed a nap (shocking, I know) so that I could be in good partying form for the evening.
When Mom, Dad and Shug returned, we were all decked out in our party attire. The theme for the party was "Black and White", so that's why we all look like we're going to a funeral. I must say, I have quite a handsome family and fiance.

After taking some photos at the house, we headed to Whole Foods to pick up the party food. This part may seem trivial to some, but at Whole Foods, we had a brush with fame! Big Baby of the LSU Tigers basketball team was at Whole Foods! He's one of the best college basketball players in the country, and is a big deal around BR. When we left Whole Foods, he walked past Shug and I, and we waved at him and I said "Hey Big Baby!", though he probably didn't hear me since he was on Shug's side and the windows were up. Whatev.
Big Baby In addition to delicious food and cake, we also had lots of good drinks! Leigh provided all the liquor and brought along with her a handsome bartender, Donovan! Donovan works at Leigh and Will's restaurant in New Orleans and seems to be a super nice guy. He's single, ladies!!
Leigh sampling the Nog (note the facial expression)



The delicious foodies

Dad and me


